Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Stanford: All My Hopes and Dreams




So I have always wanted to go to school at Stanford, always always always. In high school, Stanford sent my friend an application! I was crazy jealous. But my mom always told me that the only people that got into those crazy private schools in Palo Alto California (ie. Stanford) were the people whose dad is in jail, because they are underprivileged, and a white middle class girl like me had no choice (which is partly true). Then last summer I got to do some research at the Stanford libraries and they thought I was a student and it made me feel wonderful and awful at the same time. Wonderful that I looked cool enough and smart enough to go there, and awful because I don't have any kind of chance to get in there. But now my good friend got into grad school there! I am so crazy jealous. All that I got growing up was a regular public elementary school (none of those fancy private schools for me) in Portola Valley California. Not that I am complaining, because I got to go to a very nice private school later on in life, it just isn't Stanford, and nothing ever will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment